Why does a pure breed kitten cost so much?
So, the decision is made, you want to buy a kitten! Great. Just like the advertisement you saw recently. With a pedigree, amazing health and personality. You dial the phone number of the cattery, find out the cost of the kitten and... No, the cost seems to be much higher than you were expecting, why is the kitten so expensive?
The issue of pricing in all areas of human activity has always been, are, and always are likely to cause questions, the answers to which have been, are, and are likely to be ambiguous. And the article that you are reading now is one of the next attempts to answer the one of the most puzzling questions about how the kittens get their price. To start with, you did not go to the pet store for a kitten or to the old lady on the street, (which in itself is a very competent decision). You went to the Cattery. You turned to the professionals, to people who know what, when, how and how much to buy, to give, and to prepare for you to enjoy the beauty, charm, and affection of your pet. Often you hear that domestic cats rarely get sick, and live very long. Perhaps, but:
- we shouldn't forget that it is only possible to talk about the cats that are older than one year, only these cats have already undergone a severe natural selection; and if the kitten is less than two months old (usually, these kittens are sold on the street or in a subway), it is not known whether he will live to be a year old.
- by buying a kitten "on the side" you will never know whether he is clean, and what kind of character and habits he may have;
- a certificate of health for your kitten, and, you definitely won't get information about vaccinations that may or may not have been done.
People who breed (note breeding, not reproducing) are also called "breeders". In my opinion this makes sense. The Cattery is a kind of plant. A factory with its own production, with its laboratories, with its economy and its accounting. The plant has its own rules of operation, which are called the "international breed standard". Each breeder must know the standard for his breed, only then can you talk about breeding, not just reproducing. If you do not know the standard, then you do not know the shortcomings of your own kittens, you also would not know what and how they need to be improved. Even the most perfect cat has small drawbacks and, therefore, there is always room for improvement and a field for selective work. Careful planning of matings, painstaking selection of manufacturers, careful study of pedigrees, advantages and disadvantages, selection of genetic lines - all this is very similar to research in factory laboratories.
If you thought that I forgot about the main purpose of this article, then you are mistaken. Very briefly, I convey to you one of the other components that goes into the price of a kitten - the level of professionalism and fame of the Cattery. And do not be surprised by the component, which, at first glance, can not be felt, and/or, moreover, evaluated. Laws of a market economy operate wherever there are concepts of price. After all, it does not surprise you that the price of Bosch products, despite most things being equal, is ~ 20-40% higher than similar products of other firms. This is the result of long, impeccable, and highly professional work of Bosch.
The next component of the price is very closely related to the first, it can even be said that it follows the first component - the level of professionalism of the breeder. This is a tribal quality. The level of breeding quality depends on the phenotype and genotype
The phenotype reflects the animal's compliance with the international breed standard. If we talk about pricing (and this is what we are talking about today), conditionally all animals can be divided into three types:
- Show-Class- animals that most fully meet the requirements of the breed standard;
- Breed-Class- (from the English breed; breed, multiply) cats (and only cats!) having some very minor flaws in the type that will not allow you to receive higher marks at exhibitions, but capable of giving beautiful offspring;
- Pet-Class- just a favorite of the family. As a rule, cats are classed as pet cats, which can not be classified as show class, and therefore will not have a successful exhibition career. Judges always evaluate the cats very strictly. Depending on which class the kitten belongs to either or the other, its price also fluctuates. At the same time, the honesty and decency of the breeder is of no small importance, because it is he who determines the class of his animal. And this is directly related to the level of professionalism of the Cattery! On that the cycle is closed and determined. If the breeder has a low level of professionalism and because of this, incorrectly determines the class of the kitten. Or deceives its customers by overstating the class of the kitten (thus inflating the price), buyers will soon realize and rumors will spread. However, it should be kept in mind that when I talked about the conditional division of animals into three classes, I wanted to also note about possibilities of miscreant mistakes in determining the class of the animal. But such mistakes, as a rule, are rare, and, in any case, are not regular.
The genotype speaks of how thoroughbred the kitten's pedigree is, about what his ancestors were, what fresh blood he had and in what generation they were added in.The question of the genotype is a complex matter and its consideration in our article does not correspond to its target orientation. The main thing that should be noted the price also depends on the genotype of the kitten, so when buying it is not superfluous to carefully look at the pedigree of the kitten. It should be noted separately the cost of a rare color. Rare, and even more so, a new color is the result of long and painstaking work. This is a clear calculation and, at the same time, a matter of chance. It is the success and the embodiment of professional knowledge. Achieving a rare color - it's worth it's weight in gold.
The next component of the price directly depends on what was said above the purchase of producers (mother and father cat) for their cattery. I hope that our reflections on the breeding quality, which we outlined above, will allow us not to talk much about the impact on the price of the kittens. Due to the value of their producers being very high to start with. They are not cheap. And since the domestic producers market for a lot of different reasons does not always satisfy the experienced breeders, it is necessary to buy producers abroad, which, naturally, significantly increases the cost of their purchase (tickets, visa, hotel, etc.)
Cultivation of producers (as well as growing of kittens) is the next component of price. In order for a kitten to grow healthy and strong, proper nutrition is needed. This food can be provided in two ways: professional food or natural. For a good growth of our pet, dry and canned food is needed. Feeding premium class food (Royal Canin) is very expensive.
Exhibitions. Only there you can get an objective assessment of what you have acquired and grown. Only there can you assess the breeding quality of your pets. Exhibitions are titles, titles, and more titles. This is an important line in the pedigree of your pet. Exhibitions are regular expenses, the next component of the price of a kitten. If the exhibition takes place in another city, then add the cost of tickets for a train or plane, as well as the cost of the hotel.
Health - this is one of the main reasons why you apply for a kitten in the Cattery, and not on the street. And this is the next component of the price of a kitten. In the concept of health, I include many components. First, it's vaccinations. The kitten undergoes the first course of vaccinations at 8 to 12 weeks and not earlier. Adult cats should be vaccinated once a year. Secondly, regular veterinary care and examination. This includes not only the usual procedures (for example, deworming), but also extreme cases (for example, cesarean section during birth). It is not uncommon in a good Cattery. Whoever has encountered similar procedures in our human life can appreciate how much it costs. Health requires money.
A separate line should be said about the equipment in the cattery. In a good Cattery there is a lot of things, from toy mice and the usual scratching post to the actual residence. Even in the case when there is a producer in the Cattery, it is often in the interests of breeding to carry their cats for mating in other rooms.
The cost of breeding is another component of the price of a kitten. You can not ignore such a simple but meaningful cost of advertising. The famous Cattery is not immediately known. This takes time, and after a certain period, rumors of a good Cattery (this goes the same for the bad) are carried by customers and anyone who has dealt with them previously. More precisely, they do not carry themselves, but people carry them. Those people who have already encountered with this Cattery. And this is a considerable share of buyers. But all the same bulk of buyers only originally got there from advertising to begin with. Alas, we are all children of our time, and in our time advertising is the engine of commerce. Not a cheap engine at that.
Here I tried very briefly to list the main components that affect the price of the kitten. And, of course I'm sure you paid attention to the fact that the article does not specify any amount, price, cost, etc. This is done deliberately, because it would be incorrect to state specific figures when talking about pricing in general. And the pricing principle, in my opinion, is the same everywhere.